Friday, January 31, 2014

A Social Conscience?


Inherently, I'd like to think that people are good and that people want to do good. So, it should come as no surprise that Social Media inevitably has become a mechanism for causes and awareness campaigns. All Social Media channels instantly become a global forum and with the right backing, they have the potential to change the world.

As I have read more and more about this topic and some of the initiatives people want to create, I get excited. I feel a sense of pride - a sense that we, as a global community - could rise up from the safety our own homes and create real, tangible change. 

But, and there always is a 'but', change never comes easily and Social Media is, in a basic sense, easy. We can vent, rant and throw out an opinion, but will our fiery fingers lead to real change? I am not sure. 

I always think back to the Kony campaign which took off like no other crusade has before. Then, when the call to action was supposed to ring clear - nothing, nada, zilch. A few courageous people took to the streets to fulfill a promise but most just watched the video, hit "share" and moved on with their lives. 

So, can we make change? Can we collectively "do good"? I'd like to think so - but, I'd also like to hear your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment